Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Maintenance and the Law

Cedar City was a good time.  I received a tour of the CML mine and railroad. Wendy's brother Alex manages the railroad side.  A lot of time, energy, money, and people are needed to pull ore out of the ground just so you can have a nice skillet.  I suppose it's typical for us consumers (this blogger included) to forget just what it takes to have what many would consider everyday normal goods in front of us.

When I ride my bike, I don't think of every individual part on the bike that makes it run.  I couldn't if I tried.  I understand the concept of a combustion engine, and have slightly better than average high school auto shop skills.  I'm just thrilled the machine starts up, and hasn't blown up since Monroe LA.  That little voice inside my head also likes to play tricks on me about the bike.  It often wonders if the folks that assembled the bike were hungover during assembly? Was it built on a Friday and was someone thinking about their paycheck instead of the correct torque to apply to the piston rods? Again, I gag the inner voice and carry on.  That little voice is not for you, it's against you.

Speaking of the bike - The desert heat has pretty much chewed up my tires, so I've scheduled maintenance with the Salt Lake BMW dealership in Sandy UT.  They are busy, but knowing I'm on a tour they're squeezing me in for tires, oil change and another once over to insure the machine is road worthy to get me to where I'm going....and back.  

Maintenance isn't just good for the bike, maintenance is good for us humans too.  Riding in the heat of the southwest has taken it's toll on me..  Even with stopping every 100 or so mile to hydrate, the heat has caused me to drop 15lbs.  I'm sure it wasn't a healthy way to drop 15lbs, so I'm making it a point to keep active and drinking as much water as possible.  Even when I don't feel like drinking water, I'll drink an extra bottle.  I'm keeping my body flexible and working on keeping my mind clear.

When I'm moving I'm able to come up with all sorts of ideas for writing.  Concepts, conclusions and ideas about life and what it's all about.  Then I come to a stop and step off the bike, and like I had packed all these thoughts into a balloon....once stopped, they all escape giving me a blank slate.

Machine, mind and body maintenance...Makes for a happy soul on these roads.

I've met a few more fine folks along the road.  A gent I chatted with on a Kawasaki sport touring bike was all the way in California on his way back to Chicago.  Forest is his name.  He was doing 4500 miles in a week.  When I asked if he was an Ironbutt (certified 1000 miles in 1 day) he said he always seemed to be shy by 50 or 100 miles.  What I liked about this is he wasn't trying for it, he was just doing it.  It wasn't a goal to be an Ironbutt, his goal was just to ride.  He also noted on the long straight road I had just ridden, he was doing upwards of 105 mph.  I was doing about 75 (posted speed limit 65 mph).  He also took one look at my worn cowboy boots and was semi-amazed I was making the rounds in them. I got them for $12 on ebay, and they've held up well so far, so no need to change up now.

Once I had departed, I made a turn onto highway 6.  There was another long stretch of flat road.  Gauging the wind, the quality of the road and line of sight, I figured I'd twist the throttle some to see just what my middleweight cruiser could do. Be it in a car/truck or on a bike, I'm usually pretty pokey.  Not today. I got it right to 100 mph, but it didn't feel right, so I backed it down to 95'ish and held that for some time (still didn't feel right, but why not).  Ahead (say a mile or 2 up) I saw some headlights.  I backed it off to a respectable 80.  As I got closer I saw who owned the lights.  It was one of Utah's finest, and he saw me too.  He flipped on his lights and did a U-turn.  There wasn't much of a shoulder but it didn't matter as there wasn't any traffic anywhere for miles.  I pulled off my helmet and gloves and dug for my wallet.  The officer was in the truck likely running my plate.  After about 2 minutes he got out and walked my way (still no cars had passed us).  He informed me I was clocked at 92 mph.  I handed him all my info, and noticed he was looking at the back of my jacket.  My jacket has the Ovarian Cancer Ribbon.  He handed me back my info, and asked about my jacket.  I gave him the breakdown of why I'm on the road, and what I was up too next (still no cars had passed us).  He told me his mother had passed away due to Ovarian Cancer.  He then told me to take it easy as he didn't want to have to clean me up off the blacktop, and have a nice day.  I won't say who the officer was, or where I was clocked, but I will say for once it was a very nice chatting with a member of law enforcement.

That takes me into Salt Lake City.  I swung by arguably the best burger joint in this town.  The Cotton Bottom.  They have a garlic burger that would stun a vampire. While waiting for my burger, a gent named Rob came strolling through the door and sat a couple of stools down from me.  We struck up a conversation and I come to find out he's lived in Fiji (not on a mission).  He's guided whitewater rafts, worked at ski resorts and is currently working maintenance at Snowbird resort.  He was riding a dual sport bike, and took notice of my Michigan plate when he parked.  It's really interesting as to what you can discover by just being authentic and chatting from the heart.

If you see a motorcycle/rider, take a glance at their plate...They just might have a good story to tell.

My next stop is Gunnison CO, where I'm meeting up with the LoneStar BMW group.  I'll be riding with them for 5 days.

Maybe you like my stories and pictures but have not yet donated to the Michigan Ovarian Cancer Alliance...Well there is no time like the present.  If you have donated, share it with your friends.  100% of all donations go directly to the MIOCA.  Tell them Matt sent you.

www.mioca.org/donate

Enjoy a few pics and cheers to the road:

Sunrise at Cedar Breaks 8500ft

Pic right after Utah's finest let me go

The reason I was let off the hook

Best burgers around!


3 comments:

  1. Love your stories and pictures!!! Stay safe like utah's finest said. safe and happy 4th to you. all my love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, it was a genuine pleasure meeting you. Thank you for taking the time to become acquainted albeit briefly. I wished that I would have deviated from my planned route and followed you with your thin tire on into Salt Lake City. Since you have posted meeting me, I assume you got that new rubber on the bike. I actually completed 5,026 miles in one week. It was a sprint compared to your marathon and the important message about Ovarian Cancer. I could not help but feel the emotion and personal loss when you shared why you were out on your extended ride. It was obvious that you truly still Wendy. I felt yet another up welling of emotion when I mentioned that she is still with you in spirit riding pillion. You Sir, honor her legacy and am proud to have met you. I have carried the message forward since meeting you every chance I get. I am sure we will cross paths again. In the mean time ride safe and enjoy the experience.
    Your Friend & Fellow Motorcycle Enthusiast,
    Forrest White
    p.s. I got hit up in Kayenta, AZ by those same Navajo. It was midnight and was trying to get to Page, AZ near Lake Powell. I did not give them any $ but ended up buying them Nachos & Cheese. The attendant thanked me for not giving them any cash and thanked me for giving them some food instead. It is sad that some of our native people have given up. I hope they find a better path for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, I omitted a couple of very important words in one sentence. I meant to say, "It was obvious that you truly still love & miss Wendy." Again, Thank you for sharing in more ways than you may have known.

    ReplyDelete