Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Meeting of the LoneStar Club

Monday July 7th, it was time to get moving again and meet the Lonestar BMW club in Gunnison CO.  The original plan was meet them in Dallas, but like the road and the weather, plans change.

I was up fairly early, with enough time to get the bike packed and shower.  Shower, yes, a rare event for me prior to leaving for a 400+ mile ride.  Something just wasn't right though.  The GPS was not calcing a route, my helmet was fogging up.  The bike felt stiff and was fighting me on corners.  I took I-15 South and finally pulled over past Provo to give my GPS another shot.  As I was sitting there at a Starbucks (by Provo...very heavy LDS influence, and the good LDS folk don't drink coffee.  Cheers to the not so good ones!), I had a thought....I lost my edge.  My mojo done disappeared.  Maybe a few days eating good food and sleeping in a comfortable bed with a fluffy pillow drained me?  Maybe catching fireworks and Kenny Rogers show helped drain out some deep outlaw spirit?

Just then, my GPS finally calculated a route, I downed my coffee....Tuned out that stupid inner voice and tuned in an amazing ride.  I saw a Moose 50 feet from me on a very isolated road.  That is one big animal, and he saw me well before I saw him (her?).  No where to pull over to get a picture, but go google Rocky and Bullwinkle if you don't know what a moose looks like.  This is moose #2 I've come across, but moose #1 was 'sleeping' on the side of the road....and I'm pretty sure the car/truck/rv that put it to sleep was totaled. 

50 miles out from Gunnison, the mountain rain hit.  I pulled over, got my rain gear on without a peep, and got back on the road.  Mountain curves, rain and traffic, sure why not.  I was a little slower than your average bear in the twisties, but I made it to The Alpine Inn.  Just as I pulled in, there were a pile of the LoneStar boys and girls.  Me in my rain gear, looking like I know what I'm doing, I introduced myself.  They allowed me to park my bike, and we chatted a bit more, then off to dinner.  Nice little town Gunnison, I mean, if you like breath taking views and high mountain air.

Today (July 8th) I again was up too damn early for my own good.  Not being able to sleep, I took a short bike ride in the pre-dawn hours.  Well, I'll be damned if Gunnison doesn't have a metric shit ton of deer on the move.  I made it about 4 miles, and avoided at least 3 herds of moving deer.  Time to make a U-turn and get a shower in, which would make 2 in 2 days....Could be a record?

The LoneStars and I left at 7:55am on the long route to Steamboat Springs...Which included a jaunt down 20 or so miles of dirt, mud, gravel and graded road.  Not to mention that we made it through some 3 miles of magnesium chloride spraying.  Not sure why they're laying that down on dirt but was pretty tricky to ride. We come around a corner, and next thing you know, we're surrounded by sheep and 3 or 4 sheep dogs tending the herd.  I've never seen anything like that in Michigan.  Once we cleared the dirt/mud and hit a quick bike wash, it was a rip roaring ride to Steamboat.  These boys and girls can ride....Flat out, ride.  Took just about everything I had to basically keep up with them.  It's true, that a poor musician blames his instrument....Well my BMW 1200CLC is in company with decked out Goldwings, R1200's and even a GS1200 hiding in there.  My 800lbs CLC is outgunned....But thanks to our formation anchorman, Chris, he kept my mojo working.  Seems everyone made it safe.  We had a few folks breakaway to see some specific sites.  Me, I was just happy to be riding in a group.

Group riding brings a whole new aspect to the road.  You have safety in numbers, as cars are far more likely to see your group.  Plus it's nice to let the other folks lead once in a while.  Even though everyone has thoughts and opinions in a group, these boys and girls have a very relaxed yet detailed demeanor.  Today was a pleasure, and I'm sure the next few days will be as well.

Here's a couple of pics I've uploaded at a Hampton Inn...I'm not staying here, I just know they have free internet and don't ask a lot of questions...and yes I did park my bike under the check in canopy. 

Yes - If you have the chance to see Kenny Rogers, do it.  I know it sounds funny, but do it.
That is one big bird - Gunnison CO

Sheep - They were all over the place

Sheepdog, barking us off the herd

We are dirty





Cheers to the road


1 comment:

  1. Came across a heard of sheep & dog last year archery hunting outside of Jackpot NV. I'm pretty sure that dog would have taken ANY measures to protect his posse. Glad to hear you’re still on the move, and showered lol.

    ReplyDelete