Sunday, June 22, 2014

Too much, too soon (Slapshot. Anyone, anyone?)

So the bike was indeed back together.  Part mishaps aside, the boys at Plano BMW motorcycles got me back on the road...and what a road it was today.  Safe and sound today in Santa Fe, NM.


I departed the Miller's while they slept at 5:45am, for fear Chris would load me up with Breakfast Stout before I hit the road. I could see the writing on the wall, the greater Dallas area was due for some serious rain.  25 miles out, I gassed up and put on my rain gear.  Not 5 minutes later the heavens opened up, and what a show they put on.  Between Denton TX and Decatur TX, I got hammered.  Sideways rain, lighting lightning illuminating the pre-dawn sky and I think some hail.  I limped into a gas station to check the storm front and hung for about an hour as Weather Underground had all red over and around me for about a 5 mile radius.  At about 8am rain was still solid, but the lightning had passed and it looked as if a 20 mile run West would clear me of the storm...I was close.  1.5 hours later, I was clear of the rain. 


When in doubt, do what The Orbitsun's sing "when the lighting starts to strike, get out of that storm"...Noted good sir!


I chose to tell the GPS to avoid major highways.  Time to take the scenic route.  Well by the time I hit the New Mexico boarder, I was doing a rain dance. it was 94 degrees out and I was wearing my leather and black full face.


There is something natural all humans share.  The need to breath.  I have found in a lot of situations that we humans forget to breath...My examples:


Playing a bass solo.
During that long pause after you tell a client their payroll is hosed.
Lifting weights.
When my favorite yoga teacher (Brian Lubaway) tells the class to start in boat pose.
A first kiss.
A kiss good-bye.
Passing a semi-truck doing 80mph.
Watching one of my stocks gain 300% in one day.
Watching said stock lose 290% the next day.


We all have our moments when we forget to breath.  Smells of the road where I want to hold my breath:


A dead skunk.
Cattle pastures.
Behind a semi-truck hauling livestock.
And the king of them all....Waffle House.  Seriously, those that enjoy that place probably enjoy sniffing their socks after a 3 hour aerobic workout.  I'd rather eat my socks than eat at that establishment. 


Western Texas and most of New Mexico are perfect areas for ditching dead bodies.  Seriously!!! You won't need to dig a hole...No one is out there, and no one will find them.  No need to dig a hole.  If anyone ever needs a point of reference to hide a body, I have 12 billion spots for you.  I'm very glad the BMW folks got my bike working right....If I was stranded out there...that might be the last you heard of me.


100 miles outside of Santa Fe, the temperature started to become respectable.  However that doesn't mean Mother Nature wasn't playing her tricks on me.  Winds were gusting in the 30mph range (educated guess here) tossing the bike from center line to shoulder.  All in all it was manageable, but I could have done without being pushed around after 550 miles.


Total count on the trip odometer today - 679 miles...I'm beat, Santa Fe is nice, and I'm gonna hit the sheets, as tomorrow is another day.


Cheers to the road








1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're back on two wheels and hitting some rain! well, not glad that you're hitting rain. Just glad that you're getting the experience so you stop bitching about it in the future

    ReplyDelete