Saturday, June 21, 2014

Miles and some deep bullshit thoughts.

Being stuck with a broken machine has taught me a few things:
1 - Moving is much better than not moving.
2 - Having friends, even friends you haven't seen in awhile, is a blessing.
3 - Just when you think you've got it all figured out, life throws you a curve.
4 - Friends will help you cope with the curves.
5 - Alone on a road is no place to be.

With the machine laid up for roughly 2 weeks, friends helped me pass the time.  They took time out of their busy lives for this middle aged Summer gypsy and opened their hearts and homes.  Missing the rally in Utah was a setback, but when one door closes, all I had to do was look for the next open door.  That door does not always present itself, but it's there....You just have to find it.

I've met a lot of great people so far on this ride, and I'm starting to field the same questions from many of them.  While the questions are phrased different, they all mean the same.  The question sounds something like this "Why are you choosing to support a cause in this manner?"

For one, because I can, and I choose to.  I don't know of anyone else that has done this before.  I do know some brave souls that have sat through round after round of chemo-therapy, and by most medical wisdom, they didn't have a choice.  It's time I start asking those questions back - What's holding you back from doing what you want to do?  Exactly what kind of horseshit excuses are holding you back?  Let me take a stab at the short version of what you might say:

Money
The kids
My job
School
Transportation
Significant other
Time (ties in with just about all above)

Sometimes the biggest obstacle you face in getting what you want out of life, is you.  If you want something in life, and I mean really want something, you'll do what it takes.  If those that love you see you really trying to archive your dreams, they will support you.  They may not like it, but they know you're gunning for the stars.  Don't say "I wish I could just win the lotto" when you don't even play.

Judge not unless ye be judged...I'm not perfect.  I screw up (some would say alot).  I easily get caught in the day to day activities that make me forget about hopes and dreams.  I'm human, just like you.

Ok...slight rant over.

Thank you Ben and Pam Rosenthal and Chris and Lyz Miller for hosting me in the greater Dallas area!  To the Harmon's, I'll see you guys around July 1st.  Leave the light on.

Early tomorrow I hit the road headed for Cedar City UT.  It's gonna be hot, and I'm gonna be padded up for the road...Water and energy bars in tow, and guardian angles looking over my shoulders. 

Here are a few pictures I've managed to snap over the past couple of weeks.

Afton WY - Worlds largest Elk Horn arch...I didn't even know there was a competition?


Kick ass burgers!  Ft. Worth TX

I must have seen this John Wayne movie 5 times.

Slick Delivery!  My buddy Chris Miller playing lead get-tar (that's how they say it in Texas)


Cheers to the road


No comments:

Post a Comment