Monday, October 28, 2013

The Ride for Awareness - Love and Support

Using the word 'astounded' would be an understatement, when describing all the kind and wonderful words folks have sent my way.  Thank you to each and every person that has taken time out of their  busy lives to read this blog, send me a note, ask me a question, or even make a donation to the www.MIOCA.org

Having such powerful friends and supporters makes planning and executing this ride ever more exciting to know I truly won't be making the trip alone.  Each and every one of you will be riding along with me in support of Awareness, and ultimately helping others beat this disease.

Many of you have also wondered if I will be passing through your neck of the woods.  The answer to that is MAYBE!  My route is still very much open, but know I'm targeting areas where I have pockets of friends and family for support.  Others have indicated that while they may not be part of the BMW MOA, they would still like to discuss doing a ride in 2014 to help the cause.  I love this idea, and will be more than happy to discuss the logistics and time. 

Some folks have expressed interest in what Wendy's reaction would have been to this ride - That one is easy.  In November of 2011, she completed her first full 18 weeks of chemo therapy.  We were very cautious about going out into public for fear of her picking up any common colds or germs that could compromise her very fragile and weakened immune system.  Well about December, she had enough.  She was going to live her life exactly how she wanted, despite this disease.  True to her nature, she wasn't going to let anything, not even cancer get the way.  The bike I will be riding was purchased for us to take long road trip together.  Her amazing spirit and fight is with me today. 

I will be letting guest bloggers describe more about Wendy, and what first crossed their mind when they heard of her diagnosis.  While I could easily go on to tell you how incredible of a soul she was, reflections from friends will provide a unique insight into my wife, and just what cancer can do.

Those of you that didn't have a chance to meet her personally, I've attached a picture.  She's the one on the right holding a glass.

I would also like to thanks some very special folks for going over and above the call of duty to help make this trip extra special - Kathy Connell McDonald, Brian Sandon, Laura Brown the
Executive Director of Gilda's Club Metro Detroit, Jeff Spring.....There will be more special thanks, so keep watching for your name!  And of course a special thanks to each and everyone of you that took the time to read, share and like this blog.

Please continue to read and share!!!!  Cancer sucks!

Cheers to the road

No comments:

Post a Comment